The Pedemontano Road System
The Lombardy Pedemontana Motorway is a road system covering a total length of about 157 km, comprising of 67 km of motorway, 20 km of by-pass roads and 70 km of local roads. This is a very complex project, both at an engineering and environmental level, due to the remarkable route development, the importance of the connected infrastructures and the territory crossed (the densely populated and industrialised area north of Milan, from Varese to Bergamo).
By completing the Pedemontana Lombarda, we aim to achieve the following objectives:
- to improve the east-west axis along the Corridor 5 route of the European Union’s TEN-T network;
- to lighten Milan&’s present ring road system by creating an axis outside the Milanese metropolis;
- integrating the great regional road network thanks to the interconnection of the major roads running through Milan, in a new orthogonal design;
- reorganising the entire pedemontano road system: by shifting significant amounts of traffic onto the new infrastructure axes, it is possible to reduce the current traffic congestion on ordinary roads;
- improving the delicate relationship between infrastructure and the environment in a highly critical and environmentally sensitive area, generating overall positive effects in terms of scenery, noise and air pollution, especially in the vicinity of residential areas.
The Pedemontano Road System consists of the following road infrastructures: A motorway axis (67 km) from Cassano Magnago (Va) to Osio Sotto (Bg), connecting the existing A8 Milan-Varese, A9 Milan-Como and A4 Turin-Venice motorways, divided into 5 sections:
- section A: between A8 and A9 motorways (15 kilometers);
- section B1: from the interconnection with A9 to SP,former SS35 (7.5 kilometers);
- section B2: from Lentate sul Seveso to Cesano Maderno (9.5 kilometers);
- section C: from Cesano Maderno to the interconnection with the eastern ring-road/ A51 (16.5 kilometers);
- section D: from the eastern ring-road/ A51 to A4 motorway (18.5 kilometers).
Como and Varese ring roads (20 kilometers)
- 1° section of the Varese ring road: from A8 motorway (Gazzada Schianno) to Vedano Olona bridge;
- 2° section of the Varese ring road: from Folla di Malnate to Gaggiolo pass;
- 1° section of the Como ring road: from A9 motorway (Grandate) to the Acquanegra junction;
- 2° section of the Como ring road: from the Acquanegra junction to Albese con Cassano (SS 342);